Monday, September 28, 2009

Open Source: Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

I went apple picking the other week, and I picked at least 15lbs of apples..I always over pick when I go fruit picking. :P The funny thing is that I don't actually like eating apple on its own..! haha but this gives me a perfect opportunity to bake apples pies. :)


This is a apple pie recipe that I've been using for awhile now, it's absolutely incredible and really easy to make. (Modified from the original grandma ople recipe)


INGREDIENTS
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 teaspoon of lime juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 apples (try to have at least 3 different varieties) - peeled, cored and sliced

DIRECTIONS
*Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

  1. Toss all of the apples with 1/4 cup of the sugar, place in a colander set over a large bowl and allow to drain for 1 1/2 hours. Save the drained liquid (should have at least 1/4 cup).
  2. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add the drained liquid from the apples, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer. Mix in cinnamon and lime juice.
  3. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  4. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.


Yumm-o!
 

2 comments:

  1. The lattice looks expertly done =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate apple pie but I can't stop eating yours :) proves how yummy it is!!

    ReplyDelete