Thursday, September 24, 2009

Review: Sakura Garden Japanese Steakhouse

I had a pretty heavy lunch today at work so I decided to go have some sushi for dinner with one of my college friends. Naturally I decided to go to Sakura Garden in Glastonbury. It's one of my favorite Japanese place around here, there's not that much options, but this one is pretty nice I'd say.

One thing I really enjoy about this place is the ambiance of the dining area, it's got a trendy techno feel, kinda different from a lot of the other places in CT.

I wish I had my real camera with me, so I apologize for the bad quality photos, it will not happen again. >_< haha though I wanted to try out the geotagging function of the pre camera. (for those of you who knows me knows how obsessed I am over this phone and its functions.. maybe I should start a phone blog too? haha)

Anyhow, Khanh and I shared a boneless grilled honey ribs as our appetitizer:

It was pretty good, taste kind of exactly like what you would get for roast pork from a Chinese restaurant, except a bit sweeter. It's in a interesting bowl that looks like a plate from the top down but its actually a bowl on the bottom (did I mention this restaurant has neat plate set? Seems to be a trend in most Japanese places). The honey glazed pork was hot, and it was laid on top of a bed of cold pineapples, the combination went together surprisingly well. Nothing too special tho.

But of course I was there really for the sushi. I ordered a smoked eel avocado roll and a spicy tuna roll:

The rolls were delicious, the eel rolls were slightly smaller than the regular rolls but it's got the flavor to rival against. The eels were nicely cooked, very juicy and goes down smoothly with the avocado. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of filling they give you in the spicy tuna roll:

(you want some rice with that tuna?)
Some people might not like it that way, but seriously.. why not?? The roll was tasty, though it was not really spicy, but I am usually disappointed at the lack of heat in spicy rolls. I do like the fact that they add a bit of the crispy tempura pieces in the mix to add that little crunch factor, could definitely use a little more though.

Overall it was a good experience as usual, I always feel pretty good after eating sushi, kinda refreshed and light. Definitely a good choice after a heavy lunch day. :)

Here's my first time making a geotag photo map, it's pretty awesome.. basically my phone gps automatically embeds location coordinates on the photos I take with my phone and I can load them onto the computer and it'll automatically map themself to google map (after going through some setup process of course).

Sakura Garden
120 Hebron Ave, Glastonbury

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment